Saturday, March 17, 2007

Sat. March 17th

Happy St. Patty's Day!

I copied the below text from a missionary's blog. It spoke volumes to me.




I’ve bitten my tongue for a long time about the urgency of the task, but do not believe I could be a faithful messenger of the Gospel and remain silent any longer. If you read old missionary letters or missions’ history the urgency of the missionary task has always been a core part of the missionary message. Unfortunately, in contemporary American Christianity urgency seems to no longer be a feel good topic. Instead, we frequently use pseudo-spiritual mumbo jumbo as a cop out as we longer attempt great things for God. When we don’t have enough courage to attempt historic endeavors we use the phrase “the will of God” to baptize our own failures of vision and action. I’m convinced it’s always God’s will to make disciples. We don’t wait for perfect timing, methods, or messengers. I’m also convinced there are seasons in history in which the Lord opens up opportunities that are truly out of the ordinary. There are seasons in which His spirit moves across a city, people, or nation; and prepares them for great receptivity. When His Spirit moves in such a way, the wise farmer heavily invests in such receptive soils. I’m convinced this is happening now in Rwanda, and it is time to respond.

I’ll only use one biblical story that has always terrified me to make my point. In Numbers 13 and 14, twelve spies were sent to spy out the Promised Land. They returned unanimously convinced that the land was one of abundance. However, only two believed the Lord’s strength was sufficient to take the land. Ten of those who were gifted leaders chose to lead the people in doubt, fear, and rebellion. As a result an entire generation was set aside. Forty years later, a new generation would arise to take the land. The text is clear that it was God’s will for the Promised Land to be taken by the nation of Israel. However, the first generations lack of faith and courage became the deciding factor in what God would do with them.

Are there times today, in which God places before us an opportunity that requires faith and courage, and instead we complain, fear, and simple do not act? I’m convinced there are many. My great fear is that I’ll be one who is set aside until God rises up a generation who will follow him with their full heart.

My good friend Justin Rudasingwa said similar words to me in November 2004 as he grew weary of American Christians who loved the idea of ministering in Rwanda, but would not commit to going – “The facts have been found. How many fact finding missions do we need? Who will come?”

Our family could escape our responsibility no longer, and chose to come to Rwanda in June 2005. We have been amazed at what we have seen. The opportunities are amazing and we ask for others to now partner with us in this great endeavor for God. The task is urgent. I don’t believe the historic tragedies of Rwanda were God’s will. Instead they indict our failures to be God’s people

No comments: