Tuesday, May 29, 2007

May the Force be with you

This morning during our family prayer Davis was praying for all of us, then started praying for bad guys. Here's how it went:

D~ "God, please force the bad guys to be good."

I know my boy well enough to understand what he means. He's not talking about supernaturally forcing the bad guys, he's talking about Star Wars "Forcing" the bad guys.

It was all I could do not to snicker during the prayer.

Davis has been deep in thought lately about God, heaven and what happens when we die. He asked me last night if I saw my grandma die. I said no. Then he asked if I touched her body when she was dead. I said yes. He thought for a moment, started to cry, then said, "If you and daddy die, will I get a new mommy and daddy." That made my heart hurt, but I told him to the best of my ability about how if daddy or I die that we will wait for him and his sister at the gates of heaven and that we will be the second person to hug him after Jesus. I told him how important it was for him to go to heaven. And I told him that if anything happened to me or daddy that grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousins would be around to help take care of him.

When he starts talking like this I want to tell him to go to sleep and leave the room, but I know he is looking for answers and I don't want him to make stuff up on his own. So through my tears we talked quite a bit.

He got quiet for a few seconds and I thought the grueling conversation was about over. Then he said, "Will people see me when the angels take me to heaven?" I told him no, that only our souls go to heaven. He thought about that then looked at me and asked in a breathy exclamation, "So, I'll be invisible? YES!!"

Yes, my sweet 6 year old boy, we will be invisible.

2 comments:

Mike Morton said...

Just when you think that you're getting thru to kids... out pops that ol' Invisibilty thing! Been there... said it!

You guys are awesome parents. We need to go bowling!

Anonymous said...

And that's the way it goes, isn't it? lol. From super spiritual to just plain wompuss in seconds. God knows, I'll bet he loves it!! I want to be invisible someday too, D.