Friday, December 21, 2007

I just wanted to see Christmas lights

Not the lights of a fire truck, ambulance and several cop cars.

We were driving in town tonight to go see the big cmas lights at the park and from nowhere a man steps out in front of our van and we hit him.He was at the liquor store and decided to cross 5 lanes of traffic, drunk, at night, holding a bottle of Vodka. We never saw him, but he hit our mirror and windshield, then we ran over his feet.

The windshield is shattered and the mirror is dangling. We immediately pulled over and before Dave could get out of the van and run back a fire truck had been at the Taco Bell and saw it happen, so they drug the guy to the side of the road. He was beyond drunk and was feeling no pain. They said he probably had a broken pelvis and no telling what damage to his feet and maybe internal bleeding. He kept saying he didn't want to go to the ER.

My kids are really shook up. They thought he was dead and that we killed him. We keep talking about it and let them stand out side with the nice policeman while he wrote up our stuff. The police said this guy was a repeat offender and it was for sure, not our fault.

God truly protected our family. When I think about all the "what ifs", it could have been so much worse that it was. hopefully this is a wake up call to this man (in his 20's) and he will get sober and change his life around.

There is glass on the inside of the van, it's going to need quite a bit of work. But we are ok.

5 comments:

natalie said...

YIKES!!!! I'm so glad you guys are ok, and the guys is alive! That is a big deal - our family was at a lake when a guy drowned.. it shook us all up.. I'm so glad the man you accidentally hit was relatively ok.

Luke Coles said...

WOW! That is crazy. I'm so sorry this happened to you. That kind of thing just messes up eveyone involved. Thanks again for the pizza. It was so good! Where is it from? I hope to see y'all tomorrow.

Jan said...

egads!!!!!



!!!!!!


I'm glad you let your children be outside so they could see that he was not dead. I'm guessing you guys will never forget that night, though. I'm glad it turned out well in the end.

Serena Coles said...

Oh My Goodness!
I am so glad that you are all safe!
Prayers are going up for your children!

Anonymous said...

OH, Missy!! I am so sorry that happened to you, but sent a prayer to God that ya'll were safe, and I also hope this will be a wake up call for this man. Miss you